By Air – Whether transferring directly from Belize International Airport to Punta Gorda or coming from another area of the country, most of our guests choose to travel on the two domestic airlines of Belize: Tropic Air and Maya Island Air. The flights may make stops along the way so flight time varies from 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cotton Tree lodge acts as an agent for both airlines and we would be happy to assist you with booking your flights.
Local Belize travel on Tropic Airways is offered from Belize International Airport, Belize City, Belize (BZE) to Punta Gorda, Belize (PND) on 5 flights per day with departures leaving at 8:105M, 10:20AM, 12:20PM, 2:20PM, and either 4:40PM or 5:00PM (last flight of the day departure time varies seasonally based on when it gets dark). Return flights from Punta Gorda, Belize (PND) to Belize International Airport, Belize City (BZE) depart at 7:00AM, 9:40AM, 11:35AM, 1:35PM, and 4:00PM. Tropic Air now offers connections to Flores, Guatemala (Tikal Area).
Local Belize travel on Maya Airways is offered from Belize International Airport, Belize City, Belize (BZE) to Punta Gorda, Belize (PND) on 4 flights per day with departures leaving at 8:10AM, 10:00AM, 2:30PM, and 4:30PM. Return flights from Punta Gorda, Belize (PND) to Belize International Airport, Belize City (BZE) depart at 7:00AM, 9:30AM, and 11:30AM. Maya Island Air offers connections to Cancun, Mexico, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and Guatemala City, Guatemala.
By Bus – Bus service is available throughout Belize. It is inexpensive (BZ$24, US$12 from Belize City to Punta Gorda) and relatively reliable, but rougher than the buses you might be used to. The majority of the buses in Belize are converted US school buses. The journey from Belize City to Punta Gorda takes approximately six hours. A few Express buses are air conditioned coaches and make the trip in about five hours. Buses stop frequently and allow passengers to board as long as there is standing room available. James and Ushers bus lines travel all the way to Punta Gorda. James bus line also stops in Independence (near Placencia), Dangriga, and Belmopan on the route to Belize City. It is not possible to book tickets in advance. Please be aware that schedules change frequently. For the most up to date information check at the bus stations in Belize City or Punta Gorda.
Rental Cars – You can also rent a car in most of the major towns in Belize, though outside of Belize City arrangements for car rentals are relatively informal.There are no one-way rentals, meaning you must return your vehicle to the place where you rented it. Frances Romero 011-501-614-3998 has buses, passenger vans, etc for rent with driver anywhere in Belize, and the following rental companies are available at the Belize City International Airport:
- From all points north, take the Southern Highway towards Punta Gorda.
- At Independence, be sure to follow signs pointing towards Punta Gorda (there is one junction with clearly marked signs).
- Follow this road until you pass through Indian Creek village and you arrive at a junction that locals call ‘Dump’.
- There will be a gas station on your right. Make a left here and drive about four more miles until you see signs for Barranco and Cotton Tree Lodge on your right.
- Turn right onto this unpaved road and follow the signs for Cotton Tree Lodge for approximately five miles.
- You will pass through the village of San Felipe and see orange groves on your left.
- Make a left at the Cotton Tree Lodge sign and follow the road one mile, bearing left at the fork, until you arrive at the Cotton Tree Lodge parking lot.